There are basic things you should know about mold, which will help you understand the problem of mold in homes and how to prevent it from growing. Mold in homes in Alexandria, VA needs three things to grow—spores, water, and food.
- Mold spores are everywhere at homes in Alexandria, VA. Your immune system handles them like anything else when the spores are in small quantities, but when there is a concentration of spores in the air inside the home that gets too high, then you have a problem.
- Mold grows on cellulose which is the most abundant organic material on earth, and many of the materials in your Alexandria, VA home are made up of cellulose including: Drywall, wallpaper, wood framing, wood trim, wood floors, plywood subfloors, cabinetry, and ceiling tiles.
- Mold spores need moisture to grow, and once it is available, mold can grow extremely fast. When it starts to grow, it produces a gas which causes a “moldy” smell. Even if the smell goes away, it just means the mold is no longer growing. A plant will die without moisture, but mold does not die, it just goes dormant.
Children, the elderly, and asthma or allergy sufferers are at greater risk when exposed to mold in homes in Alexandria, VA. Here are some easy steps to follow to prevent mold in homes.
- Condensation that is created from high relative humidity can be controlled with a properly functioning HVAC and exhaust systems in your bathrooms and kitchen at your Alexandria, VA home. Having your HVAC serviced yearly will not only prevent leaks and ensure its working order which will prolong its life, but this can greatly reduce mold in homes in Alexandria, VA.
- Keeping your basement dry is extremely important. This can be done by making sure your downspouts and sump pump discharge is at least 10 feet from the foundation. The soil around your Alexandria, VA should be graded so that the water flows away from its foundation, and you should keep gutters free of leaves and debris. Taking these easy steps can save you thousands of dollars in waterproofing your basement and will also prevent mold in homes.
- Anytime you have wet materials in your home such as wet clothes lying around or a leak that hasn’t been fixed, the result will lead to mold in homes. Always keep a close eye on your plumbing to make sure you have no leaks and never leave wet clothes lying around.
Following these simples steps can help homeowners in Alexandria, VA eliminate mold growth at their home.