With summer well into the season in Haymarket, VA and high humidity, you should have a mold treatment plan for your home. Mold is a fungus that breeds in moisture. If you don’t have the proper ventilation in your home, you are taking a chance of mold growth. Other things like leaky pipes that have gone unnoticed for more than 48 hours can also contribute to mold growth.
Mold thrives on moisture, and its food source are things such as wood, drywall, carpet, insulation, furniture, clothing, paper and food. When these conditions exist in your Haymarket, VA home, it can ruin the structure of your home, get into your HVAC system, put out a musty smell into the home and can cause health issues for you and your family. You should have a mold treatment plan for your home in Haymarket, VA to prevent mold from growing or rid mold if it has already started.
Preventive Treatment for Mold Growth
A way to thwart off musty mold smells and the fuzzy, slimy fungus from growing in your home in Haymarket, VA and prevent health issues include these preventive mold treatments:
- Invest in a dehumidifier. Run it in extremely humid conditions or in damp areas of your home.
- Replace mildewy shower curtains or wash them often, so mildew does not grow.
- Keep clothes and other fabrics dry and do not let them pile up next to walls.
- Clean out air conditioning drip pans regularly, so mold doesn’t grow.
- If you spill something, clean it up right away.
- Repair any leaks in your plumbing, checking under kitchen and bathroom sinks and your washing machine.
- Air out your house. Let the sunshine in.
- When cooking or showering, open doors or windows or run an exhaust fan to get rid of the moisture in the air.
- Install a better ventilation system in your home or repair your present one if it isn’t performing well.
Home Mold Treatment Products
- Vinegar is a cheap mold treatment to kill mold. Clean your home with plain white vinegar from top to bottom to ward off mold. If you see mold, spray undiluted on the area, let it sit for a while and then wipe away the vinegar and mold. Repeat as needed.
- Tree Tea Oil is a natural fungicide and can eliminate mold from your home plus the smell will fill your home with a pleasant medicinal scent. Add ten drops to a spray bottle of water and spray on the mold. Let sit and wipe it and the mold away.
- Vodka, the cheap kind, can put your mold in a drunken stupor. Fill a spray bottle and spritz the moldy area, let it sit for a while and then wipe the mold away.
By simply taking extra precautions and having a mold treatment plan, you should be able to get a grip on mold growth in your Haymarket, VA home. Envirotex is an environmental services company serving the Northern Virginia area who is licensed and certified in for all your mold treatment needs in Haymarket, VA. If you have any questions, need a mold inspection or mold removal, give the experts at Envirotex a call.
Before contacting the professionals about home mold removal in Northern, VA, you should first find the source of the mold to prevent it from coming back. Once you address the moisture problem, you should then have home mold removal performed by a certified, mold removal environmental specialist.
Where Does Home Mold Grow?
Mold often grows in dark areas of your home that have high humidity, typically found in attics, basements, ceilings, crawlspaces, behind drywall, in windows and under sinks.
- Attic Mold—Mold can be found in attics coming from a leaky roof or no proper ventilation. Depending on the damage, materials may just need to be cleaned or possibly replaced. Any roof leaks, shingle flashing or ventilation issues must be fixed to prevent the mold from growing back. Then the mold would need to be removed properly by a certified mold professional. If left untreated, mold will continue to grow and can spread to other areas, contaminate stored items in the attic, and lower your property value.
- Basement Mold—Some basements tend to be damp especially in rainy seasons. Depending on how well your basement is sealed, you may have to reseal your basement and possibly put in a drain to defer the water away from the outside of the house. If materials inside such as insulation, sheetrock, cardboard boxes, wall studs or paneling are infected, you would need to properly remove the mold by completely removing the infected material or cleaning and sealing the area with a mold inhibitor so it will not reappear.
- Surface Mold—If you have an unfinished basement which is used for storage where there is little or no activity, mold growing is not necessarily producing airborne spores. If the surface that the mold is growing on is damp, mold spores will not become airborne as easily. Sometimes in sample testing, this does not show elevated mold spores although mold is visible. For the safety of your family you would still need to find the source of the moisture and fix the problem so that once your home mold removal is done, it will not grow back.
Not taking care of mold problems in your Northern, VA home can cause the problem to manifest into a bigger mold problem costing you more money later and potential health problems. Envirotex, a Northern, VA Company experienced in environmental services, would be glad to help you with home mold removal. We have been servicing the environmental needs of homeowners and business in the Northern, VA area since 2000.
A new generation of remote-sensing tools have revolutionized the efficiency of mold inspections in Fairfax, VA. We know, because at Envirotex we have been at the forefront of implementing the use of infrared digital detection since it was initially deployed by the U.S. Department of Defense.
Thermal imaging was developed by a consortium of military defense contractors in the 1980’s and ’90’s. The technology allows us to see through the dark of night and into thick billows of smoke. It can also expose areas of moisture and heat otherwise hidden behind solid surfaces. The laser-based technology was released for commercial use following the Gulf War in 1991 and it’s popularity exploded.
Mold inspections in Fairfax, VA, are just one of many uses for this new technology. The remote sensing data generated by infrared detection is also valued in law enforcement, the sciences, firefighting, the security and transportation sectors, and for myriad applications throughout a broad spectrum of industries.
Thermal imaging allows us to perform thorough, non-invasive, efficient mold inspections in Fairfax, VA. A quick analysis following an infrared scan gives us real-time data to take appropriate action. If warranted, we collect material samples and have all mold testing conducted by a third-party accredited bio-laboratory.
In addition to the standard visual mold inspection Fairfax, VA, property owners will breathe more comfortably after our specially-trained environmental technicians use remote-sensing data from our advanced thermal-imaging equipment to detect and identify areas where mold is hiding.
To learn the truth about what’s hiding in your home or workplace, call Envirotex Environmental Services, and schedule your thermal imaging mold inspection in Fairfax, VA, today.