Mold can be either a visible intruder or can be lurking behind walls, underneath flooring and under appliances such as a dishwasher, washing machine, water softener or water heater. Just a tiny leak coming from one of these appliances left unfixed can allow mold growth to infest your Northern Virginia home. Mold treatment is vital to homeowners in Northern Virginia who can either see mold growing or have smell musty odors in their home.
Health Issues Related to Mold Growth
Mold is not good for anyone, but those who have allergies and asthma are more at risk to develop mold infections in the lungs. Symptoms to be aware of include:
- Nasal stuffiness
- Eye irritation
- Skin irritations
If household members are constantly getting sick, you should consider having a mold treatment for your home in Northern Virginia. Black toxic mold can be deadly to family members, and symptoms should never be excused for just a minor cold if you see any mold growth at your Northern Virginia home. Any type of mold should be inspected by a professional, and a proper mold treatment to rid the home or business of any mold growth should be implemented.
Work areas in Northern Virginia which have high mold exposure that might need mold treatment include:
- Saunas and pools
- Flower shops
- Antique shops
Being around mold for long periods of time can infect your health and mold treatment should be done to prevent further damage to your health.
Mold treatments should be done by a professional environment services company. These experts are equipped with the necessary equipment to do the job right and also to advise you how to prevent further mold damage to your Northern Virginia home or business. Mold treatments without preventive measures to ensure the mold from coming back are costly and can be detrimental to the health of family members or workers for businesses in Northern Virginia.
If you have signs of mold growth, call a professional mold treatment company in Northern Virginia to ensure the safety of family members and employees.
Great care should be taken by homeowners in Alexandria, VA who choose d-i-y home mold removal. Some cleaning agents are quite toxic to use indoors so make sure you work in a well-ventilated area and by all means wear a respirator and gloves to protect yourself.
Effective Home Mold Removal Products
- Ammonia—This cleaning agent is a good disinfectant and does a great job of killing mold on hard, non-porous surfaces such as bathroom sinks, shower doors and kitchen counters around your Alexandria, VA home. It does not kill mold on penetrating porous materials like sheetrock, particle board or ceiling tiles. Ammonia’s fumes are quite toxic, and it will also irritate the skin and eyes. It is poisonous and could cause health issues if ingested or inhaled especially in a non-ventilated area. It should never be mixed with chlorinated bleach.Combine ammonia and water, 50/50 proportions in a spray bottle. Spray the mold contaminated area and allow the solution to sit for about 5 or 10 minutes to kill mold. Then scour the mold area with a brush and wipe clean. Repeat if needed.
- Bleach—Use on hard, non-porous surfaces to kill nearly any type of mold spores. Bleach is not effective on porous surfaces because the same moisture used to kill the mold will promote additional mold growth to the area just cleaned.Combine one cup of bleach to no less than a gallon of water and mix together thoroughly and add to a spray bottle. Apply evenly to the mold infected area or use a sponge or disposable towel and wipe the area clean. Do not rinse. Allow the bleach to disinfect the area to inhibit future mold growth in your Alexandria, VA home.
Seven Natural Products for Home Mold Removal
- Baking Soda—A natural cleaning solution that is safe around pets and children.Mix baking soda with water at a 50/50 ratio to form a paste. Apply paste and let dry. Scrub with a brush if needed and then wipe away mold debris.
- Vinegar—White distilled vinegar is inexpensive and is an anti-bacterial agent that is great in home mold removal.Simply spray vinegar straight onto the surface, let sit, then wipe away.
- Borax—It deodorizes, disinfects and cleans and borax does not put off toxic fumes or It is toxic so do not ingest. It is also non-carcinogenic.Mix one cup of borax with one gallon of water, mix together well and spray or wipe on mold infected surface. Scrub with a brush if needed and then wipe. Do not rinse because borax will continue to work as a disinfectant and deodorizer. Allow to air dry and repeat if needed.
- Hydrogen Peroxide—Non-toxic, inexpensive and produces no toxic fumes. It serves as an antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial Can be used in home mold removal for porous materials such as walls and clothing.Mix two parts water with 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle or soak a disposable towel and wipe mold. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Use a brush if needed and then wipe away the mold. Allow to dry.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract—Similar to tea tree oil, this is natural and non-toxic in home mold removal.Add ten drops of grapefruit seed extract oil to each cup of water needed for mold removal. You can strengthen if needed for stubborn stains. Spray area and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes or longer if needed. Wipe away mold. Do not rinse as the acid will penetrate mold growth and prevent any future mold spores from coming back.
- Tea Tree Oil—This is a natural fungicide effective in killing black mold spores and removing mildew, and it will also fill your home in Alexandria, VA with a lovely medicinal scent. Make sure it is made from the Australian tree “melaleuca ” It is toxic if swallowed.Add ten drops of tea tree oil to a spray bottle and fill with water. Spray, let sit and wipe away the mold.
Be extremely careful when combining two or more cleaning agents together to prevent harmful accidents. Read all labels and be extremely cautious around children and pets when working with bleach and ammonia cleaners at your home in Alexandria, VA. Be safe at all times!
Depending on how much mold is infecting your Alexandria, VA home, it is advised to call a professional such as Envirotex for mold removal from your home. They are the experts in their field. Envirotex is an environmental service company licensed and certified in mold inspection, mold removal, and remediation.