Many building products and insulation materials used in homes contained asbestos until the 1970s. If you have an older home in Warrenton, VA, you should have an asbestos inspection by a professional such as Envirotex Environmental Services before remodeling.
Products that could contain asbestos are:
- Boilers and furnace ducts insulated with asbestos paper tape or an asbestos blanket. If damaged, repaired, or improperly removed, these materials may release asbestos fibers;
- Floor tiles and the adhesive used in the installation, and the backing on vinyl sheet flooring. Scraping or sanding during removal can release asbestos fibers;
- Joint compounds and patching for walls and ceilings and textured paints. Scraping, sanding, or drilling any of these surfaces may release asbestos fibers;
- Door gaskets in furnaces, wood, or coal stoves. Seals that are worn can release asbestos fibers during use;
- Roofing and siding shingles.
A professional who does an asbestos inspection will know what to look for and where to look in your Warrenton, VA home. During an asbestos inspection, the inspector will take samples of any suspected materials, assess the condition of the materials, and advise the Warrenton, VA homeowner on how to correct any asbestos found in the home properly.
Once the asbestos inspection is complete and a plan is mapped out for any removal of asbestos materials, you will need to move your family to other living quarters until the asbestos removal is complete at your home in Warrenton, VA.
Asbestos fibers are harmful to your health when released into the air. It is imperative that you have an asbestos inspection if you have any suspensions of asbestos materials at your Warrenton, VA home. Asbestos-containing materials which are not damaged in any way and are in good shape are not harmful.
However, suppose down the road, you decide you want to remodel areas of your Warrenton, VA home which may possibly contain asbestos. In that case, it is best to go ahead and have an asbestos inspection by a professional such as Envirotex so you know ahead of time what you will need to do before you do any remodeling.
Call the team at Envirotex for all your environmental questions.