Despite the fact of how hideous and unclean mold can look growing in your Northern VA home, it is also harmful to your family’s health. Mold produces allergens and irritants. If any of your family members are sensitive to mold, inhaling or touching mold or their spores could cause an allergic reaction. These allergic responses may include hay fever–type symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, red eyes, and skin rash. Once you see signs of mold inside your home in Northern VA, it is imperative that you make a plan for mold removal to rid your home of these mold spores that can be detrimental to your family.
Moisture plays a big part in mold growth—While you may see mold growing on surfaces inside your Northern VA home, there could be mold also growing behind your walls where you can’t visibly see it. Knowing where your moisture came from and how it got into your home is one of the critical factors in the mold removal process. Identifying your moisture source will help locate further mold growth that is not visible. Getting rid of the moisture source at your Northern VA home is also essential otherwise, once the mold removal process is complete, it will only come back if the source of your moisture problem isn’t fixed.
A Plan for Mold Removal for Homes in Northern VA
- Repair the water issue so the mold won’t come back once the mold removal is complete.
- Isolate the contaminated area by closing all the doors and windows and covering the hallways with polyethylene sheeting. Seal the seams with duct tape.
- Mist the contaminated area to suppress the dust.
- Remove all the wet and damaged porous materials and place them in plastic bags. These bags can be disposed of with your regular trash after wiping down the bags with a damp cloth and solution before taking them from the contaminated area.
- Surfaces in the contaminated area must be vacuumed with a HEPA vacuum.
- All non–porous materials and wood surfaces infested with mold must be cleaned.
- Once cleaned, the materials need to be dried to let any leftover moisture evaporate. To help the process, use fans, dehumidifiers, or increase the temperature inside your home in Northern VA.
- Any materials which were removed may need to be replaced or repaired.
Your typical mold removal process may be similar and more or less in–depth than this plan. If you have any questions, call Envirotex Environmental Services, and they will be glad to help.