Dangers Lurking in Washington, D.C. Homes Call For Asbestos Removal
Chances are if your home in Washington, D.C. is more than 35 years old, you are living with dangerous asbestos containing materials day in and day out. Should you be concerned? Do you need an asbestos removal? Where can these asbestos containing hazards be in your home?
Asbestos Containing Material Hazards
- Roofing and siding shingles could be made of asbestos cement.
- Asbestos could be in the insulation if your home was built before 1970. Heat insulation containing asbestos was first used in 1866.
- Textured paint and patching compounds used on wall and ceiling joints contained asbestos. This was banned in 1977.
- Some older vinyl floor tiles and the backing on vinyl sheet flooring and adhesives contain asbestos.
- Asbestos insulation can be found in oil and coal furnaces and door gaskets.
- Hot water and steam pipes could be coated with an asbestos material or covered with an asbestos blanket or tape.
Should you be Concerned?
You know the old saying, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?” The same goes for asbestos. If it hasn’t been disturbed, it shouldn’t be a problem. Asbestos is a hazard when you disturb it either by sawing, cutting, nailing, hammering, scraping or drilling. Asbestos fibers are released into the air if disturbed and this can accumulate in your lungs which can cause life-threatening health issues.
Do you Need an Asbestos Removal?
Depending on the shape of your home, you could have damaged or exposed pieces of asbestos containing materials lurking in your home. The best and safest way, if you suspect you have asbestos in your home in Washington, D.C., is to call a professional environmental company such as Envirotex. We are licensed and certified to perform:
- Asbestos Removal and Remediation
- Asbestos Testing
- Black Mold Inspection and Removal
- Meth Lab Cleanup
The experts at Envirotex are equipped to come into your home to test for asbestos and perform the asbestos removal in your Washington, D.C. home in the safest way possible for you and your family. We have years of experience and the proper equipment to do what is necessary to make your home safe and free from environmental hazards.