A healthy indoor environment is important to you and your family. This includes keeping the air free of biological contaminants, which can cause health problems in your Reston, VA home. Scientists call these airborne contaminants bioaerosols.
Bioaerosols are extremely small living organisms or fragments of living things suspended in the air. Dust mites, molds, fungi, spores, pollen, bacteria, viruses, amoebas, fragments of plant materials, and human and pet dander (skin which has been shed) are some examples. They cannot be seen in your Reston, VA home without a magnifying glass or microscope.
Yes. They can cause severe health problems. Some, like viruses and bacteria, cause infections (like a cold or pneumonia). Others cause allergies. Both allergic responses and infections may be serious or even fatal.
An allergic reaction occurs when a substance provokes formation of antibodies in a susceptible person. We call substances which will cause an allergic reaction in some people antigens or allergens. Bioaerosols may cause allergic reactions on the skin or in the respiratory tract. Rashes, hay fever, asthma (tightness in the chest, difficulty in breathing), and runny noses are common allergic reactions.
A few people develop a severe allergic reaction in the lung, which can destroy lung tissue. This is called hypersensitivity pneumonitis. It is not an infection, but repeated episodes can lead to infections of the lung, such as bacterial pneumonia.
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis can be triggered by exposure to very small amounts of the allergen, once a person is sensitive to it. Symptoms can range from tightness in the chest, cough, and difficulty in breathing, to low-grade fever, muscle aches, and headaches.
Molds, mildews, bacteria, and dust mites like the same conditions that we do--warmth and moderate to high humidity. They need little more than a constant moisture supply for survival. You may find bacteria, molds, and mildews in air conditioning equipment, humidifier reservoirs, dehumidifier drip pans, shower heads, toilets, and ice machines. Should your Reston, VA home suffer from water damaged carpets, ceiling panels, walls, and paneling, you could prime locations for new growth if they are allowed to stay damp. When molds, mildew, dust mites, and bacteria are disrupted or release their spores into the air, this results in bioaerosol formation.
Molds and mildews develop from spores, which are in the air all around you. As soon as spores settle in an area with the right conditions for growth, they establish colonies, which are often visible to the naked eye. These colonies are a source of more spores, can cause unsightly stains, and may release low levels of toxic chemicals called mycotoxins into the air.
Humidifiers are such a common source of bioaerosols that cause health problems that doctors now use the term humidifier fever. Protozoa, amoebas, and strains of bacteria have been found in humidifiers, and these are readily released into the air with the moisture produced by humidifiers. These have been linked to allergic responses in sensitive people.
Dust mites and their waste products are some of the most common allergens in indoor air found in Reston Virginia homes. Dust mites eat human and pet skin (dander) as it is shed. It has been estimated that we shed about seven million cells per minute! Dust mites live in rugs and carpets, sheets, mattresses and pillows, and upholstered furniture. Ten to 15 percent of people are allergic to dust mites. Of the people who have other allergies, 40 percent are also allergic to dust mites. Dust mites can be a common problem anywhere including your Reston, VA residence.
First, lower the relative humidity in your home, basement or crawl space, and attic. Relative humidity is the amount of moisture in the air at a given temperature. You may want to see Identifying and Correcting Moisture Problems in Homes. The humidity fluctuates in your home, depending on:
If you can keep relative humidity below 50 percent, you can reduce problems with dust mites, mold, and mildew. A hygrometer can be used to measure indoor humidity levels. You can buy a hygrometer for your Reston, VA residence from some nursery or garden stores, and from hardware stores.
There is little medical research supporting the use of a humidifier, so try to avoid using one. If your home is extremely dry and you must use a humidifier, a steam vaporizer or warm mist humidifier causes fewer problems. Do not humidify indoor air to a relative humidity level higher than 50 percent.
It is not known how well any single measure controls dust mite populations. However, it is known that effective mite control requires that relative humidity be maintained below 50 percent. In addition, since you spend about a third of each day in your bedroom, concentrate your efforts there.
If you are concerned about air quality in your home, don't hesitate to call Envirotex Environmental. We provide state of the art Mold & Moisture Inspections, Mold Identification, Mold Remediation, Air Quality Testing, Asbestos Inspection & Removal services in the Greater Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia.
About Envriotex Environmental Services
Established in Northern Virginia in 2000, Envirotex Environmental Services was founded on military service. While serving his country, the company's owner Mr. Freeman gained vast knowledge and experience in the environmental services field. His expertise in air monitoring and hazardous materials testing prepared him for his post-military career.
Get Your FREE
Envirotex Proudly Accepts
Listen to Our Clients
Great customer service. Reviewed quite a few and found Daniel Freeman, Pres/CEO of Envirotex to be the most knowledgeable and professional of all. Also the most experienced! We would highly recommend this company. (He was very tolerant of all my questions about the inspection and how the treatment would be handled!)
The job was to remove all the old rock-wool insulation and 60-years of dust, bird droppings, and dirt from the attic so that new fiber glass insulation could be installed. Dan's team of workers did a super job in cleaning the attic of all this stuff. I could find nothing remaining between the joist or in corners of the attic. It was so clean that you could have food served on the floor in the attic. They were on-time, completed the work as scheduled, and the work team was professional, organized, and experienced. Highly recommend Envirotex.
Frederick R T.
Envirotex helped alleviate the stress associated with the flooding of our basement. Although the insurance adjuster was quick to get a company in there to rip out the carpeting and drag it out into our driveway (where it remained for several days), neither the adjuster nor the carrier was concern about the ensuing mold growth that we were seeing on the drywall and ceiling tiles. If not for the professional survey, analysis and report that you furnished detailing the extent of the mold contamination, the cause thereof and the work that was required to be performed, I am certain that we would still be fighting with the insurance company. Thank you, we are very glad that we had Envirotex in our corner!