Winter Mold: Prevention Now or Remediation Later in Washington DC
Believe it or not, the wet winter months are one of the best times of the year for mold to grow and expand. And if you don’t prevent mold now, you’ll need remediation later in your Washington DC home. Here are some tips to prevent winter mold:
- Make sure there is good air circulation in your home. Use an exhaust fan or open a window when showering, cooking, and washing the dishes.
- Prevent mold and water damage by turning off the water flow to broken appliances and pipes.
- Replace cracked or defective mortar in basements. If you find your basement is wet or has water leaking into it, inspect the outside drainage systems.
- Insulate pipes inside and out to ensure they will not crack and/or burst.
- Check the seals on the windows and doors are not compromised and in good-working condition.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Check the ground around your building, make sure it slopes away from the foundation so water does not collect around or enter in to it.
- Act quickly if you see condensation on windows, pipes, or walls inside a building. Dry out the area, and determine if the source of the condensation is from a leak or the result of high humidity.
Already have mold? You’ll want more information on mold remediation for your Washington DC home. Please contact the mold remediation experts at Envirotex today at 703.928.7892. Specializing in mold removal and mold remediation in Washington DC for more than 10 years, our team of experts can protect your family and your home from the dangers of mold all year round.