The Proper Practice of Mold Remediation for Homes in Manassas, VA
Mold can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors; it is part of the natural environment. Mold is usually not a problem until it starts to grow indoors. A home or business can become infested with mold when introduced to a water source such as a leaky roof, leaky windows, leaky pipes or seasonal flooding. Mold can spread within 48 to 72 hours and can produce allergens and irritants that can cause health issues.
If you suspect mold in your home or business, you need to have a professional mold remediation company from Manassas, VA who have the training, necessary equipment, and the experience to handle your situation.
Proper Mold Remediation Process
- Locate mold—Inspect for all mold. This should be done by a professional who is knowledgeable in knowing where to look and who has the proper equipment to find mold that could be hidden inside your walls. All mold has a moisture source which needs to be found and fixed. If your mold source is not properly taken care of, mold will just grow back.
- Create a mold remediation plan— The Manassas, VA mold remediation professionals should document in writing and with photos or video all damage done by the mold. They should then explain to you what needs to be done, how long it will take and any recommendations about relocating the homeowner and their family or business owners and their employees.
- Repair the water problem—Finding and repairing the water source is the only way to prevent new mold spores from growing.
- Containment—Close all doors and windows between the contaminated area and other rooms in the home in Manassas, VA. Cover doorways and any other openings with polyethylene sheeting. Seal seams with duct tape. During the mold remediation, advanced containment may be used such as negative air chambers to isolate contaminated areas with physical barriers and negative air pressure which keeps mold spores from spreading throughout your home in Manassas, VA. Fans and heating and cooling systems need to be turned off to prevent mold from spreading.
- Air filtration—Professionals use specialized filtration equipment to capture microscopic mold spores in the air during the mold remediation process in Manassas, VA. These professionals use “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent spreading mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
- Remove mold and mold-infested materials—Mold remediation professionals in Manassas, VA will use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and prevent new ones from forming. They will also remove any mold-infested porous materials such as drywall and carpeting if necessary in order to remove heavy mold growth.
- Clean affected areas—Professionals will vacuum surfaces with HEPA vacuum and clean surfaces with damp cloths or mops with a special detergent solution.
- Dry—Using fans or dehumidifiers will speed up the drying process during the mold remediation at your Manassas, VA home.
- Restoration—Replacing drywall, carpet or other materials will need to be done depending on the amount of damage to the home in Manassas, VA.
Whenever you are faced with any type of mold issues, take care of it immediately by calling a professional mold remediation company in Manassas, VA.