It would be best if you always consider having a mold inspection whenever you purchase a new home. A mold inspection is totally different from your typical housing inspections. Your cost will be based on the house’s size in Fairfax, VA that you are purchasing. You might be wondering, is a mold inspection worth the cost?
Mold thrives in moist spaces, and it spreads by emitting spores which float around inside your house in the air until it lands on a surface area. These mold spores are outdoors as well as indoors. Fortunately, if you keep the interior of your home in Fairfax, VA dry, you should be able to prevent mold growth. How to do this?
- Repair any leaks with your HVAC system, plumbing, or roof.
- Ensure your kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room are well vented to take the moisture out of your Fairfax, VA home.
- Clean up any spills; it only takes 48 hours or less for mold to set in.
When you see mold, you are aware of the problem and can take care of it. However, what about mold that could be growing in spaces that you can’t see, such as between your walls, inside your ducts, or under your carpet?
There are several reasons why you should get a mold inspection, including—
- Water Damage—If you have experienced any water damage to your home in Fairfax, VA, such as a pipe broke and leaked into the ceiling or down your walls, and all you could see to clean was the water on the floor, you should get a mold inspection. Any place that has gotten wet and not cleaned up and dried within 48 hours is prone to be contaminated by mold and should be inspected.
- Buying a New Home—You will never know if the previous owners dealt with any water damage leading to mold growth, and quite possible, when builders leave materials outside in the damp and then use them in the construction inside, it’s likely mold could be growing behind the walls of a newly constructed home. The only way to be sure is to have the Fairfax, VA home go through a mold inspection process.
- Unoccupied House—Whenever a house has been vacant for long periods, humidity may have built up, causing mold growth. This is especially problematic for warmer areas where there is higher humidity.
- Previous Mold Remediation—Once you’ve had mold remediation at your home in Fairfax, VA, you might want to have regular mold inspections to be sure you got rid of all the mold.
- Visual Mold—Anytime you notice mold growth, a mold inspection will ensure that you find it all.
If you have any questions or concerns about mold, call the experts at Envirotex Environmental Services, and they will be glad to help.