After any persistent water damage in your Fairfax, VA home, you might come across mold growth. Common molds may cause sickness with some people who have a sensitivity to “mycotoxins” which are the chemicals produced by certain molds. Some molds are worse than others and even toxic such as “black mold” better known as Stachybotrys. Mold inspections can help determine the type of mold in your home in Fairfax, VA and then a plan for remediation should be done to protect your family and your home from further damage.
Why You Should Have a Mold Inspection—
- You smell mold but visually do not see it anywhere within your home in Fairfax, VA. During a mold inspection, the inspector will sample for hidden mold sources, for example, ceiling and wall cavities.
- If you are interested in buying a home in Fairfax, VA, you will want a mold inspection done to determine any pre-existing mold conditions. Mold remediation can be costly, and if mold growth is found during a mold inspection, you will then need to consider the additional cost before you close the deal on the house.
- If you are thinking about selling a home in Fairfax, VA where mold was previously detected, you may legally be required to disclose this information. Even if you had professional remediation, you should always have a mold inspection done again to document that your home was examined and is now free of mold. Having the documentation that your Fairfax, VA home was independently and professionally inspected can be the “proof” you need to make a potential buyer more at ease with purchasing the home.
Mold inspections should always be done if you notice any of the following—
- Mold or musty smells after a rainfall or in high humidity
- Discolored or stained walls and ceilings
- Water leaks
- Windows that are leaking
- Materials that have been exposed to moisture for over 48 hours
A professional mold inspector will test different areas in your Fairfax, VA home for mold including walls, floors, ceiling, attics, rugs, basements, wall cavities and the air. If excessive mold has been identified during the mold inspection, you will need to call a company such as Envirotex for remediation to completely get rid of all molds at your home in Fairfax, VA. After the mold remediation is complete, make sure to have your home reinspected to make sure the remediation was a success.